Re: Clarification sought on checkpoint 10.1

There are a couple of other issues. For some reason people seem to think it
is a good idea to produce pop-ups that don't provide the normal amount of
control (back buttons, resizeable, font size menu, etc), and instead of using
HTML to do it they make them in javascript with no workable alternative.

The basic problem (even if people do allow the user to control it) is a loss
of context. So generally it is better not to pop up a window - users who want
it are likely to know how to do it anyway - this is offered by most browsers.

Where you are going to do so, as Rob says it is good to provide some explicit
warning. Modern browsers are starting to do this anyway - iCab does, and
Opera lets you control whether it happens or not.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer...

cheers

Charles McCN