RE: Accessibility Stats

Cyndi Rowland, project director of WebAIM, has published a paper looking at
accessibility of post-secondary education web sites. You can find it at
http://www.webaim.org/articles/whitepaper.htm. She looks at 6 studies, and
I'll excerpt the first one so you can see the type of data discussed:

1. Rowland and Smith (22) reported BOBBY data (version 3.0) gathered on a
random sample of 400 prominent colleges, universities, and online learning
institutions from all 50 states and the District of Columbia between
December 15, 1998 and January 8, 1999. Results indicated that fewer than 1
in 4 postsecondary institutions (n = 90; 22%) had front pages (i.e., the
institutional home page) that would receive BOBBY approval. In going one
level beyond the front page, for the institutions that had accessible
front-pages, only 3% (n=10) received BOBBY approval. Less than 1% of sites
that were accessible one level beyond the front page were accessible at all
links two levels from the front page.

[Web Accessibility In Mind (WebAIM) is administered through a grant provided
by the Learning Anywhere Anytime Program Fund for the Improvement of
Postsecondary Education.]

Reidy Brown
Reidy Brown
Accessibility Coordinator/