Re: data table question

what happens if I use a black and white monitor or color scheme?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dona Patrick" <patrickd@calib.com>
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 12:41 PM
Subject: data table question

We have a number of data tables on a file that we are converting to an
html
document that use shading to indicate information.  For instance the
shaded
rows mean the information contained in those rows is optional (for a
task).
We have brainstormed as to how to impart that information without making
the
html version look different from the original version.  As part of our
brainstorming, the html coder wondered how a typical blind user would
approach a properly marked up data table on a web page.  Would he or she
read it line by line?  Cell by cell?

Any ideas of how to convey the information about the shaded cells to a
visitor using a screen reader?  One idea we came up with was to put an
invisible GIF with alt text giving the information, but would this need
be done in each cell or would it be ok just at the beginning of the row?

Thank you,

Dona Patrick