RE: Table Questions

Another possible rule of thumb:

Does it make sense to have more than one header cell? If not, then it is a
linear thing like a normal bit of "text" (where text might mean pictures or
something).

Just another thought...

Chaals

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Jon Hanna wrote:

  > Second, what exactly defines a "data table"?  For instance, how
  > does a data
  > table differentiate itself from a "layout table" that has a header
  > graphic in the first row, navigation in the second, and content in
  > the
  > third.  Could
  > the first cell holding the header graphic be correctly labeled as a
  > table header (<th>)?  (What would be great is a test or syllogism
  > of some sort which would help me clearly define data tables.)

  You could be a pedant and argue that since the contents of each cell
  of a table used for layout is data of some sort or other it would
  indeed count as a "data table".

  A good rule of thumb for whether something is a "data table" or not
  is to ask yourself if you would use a table for it if you were using
  pen and paper to display the document.

  gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
  gpg: Signature made Fri May 11 10:20:32 2001 EDT using DSA key ID F532BD18