RE: dlink and longdesc

Robert,

I feel strongly that the alt text should be simple and convey the
information of the image. So the alt text for the two images at the top of
the page should be exactly the words on those images, without the
description of the graphic; that should be in the long description.

Long description is supported. HPR not only offers it to its blind users,
but adds the link to the graphic view as well - a decision I consider to be
a bug. I haven't checked screen readers.  They will catch up when folks
start using longdesc.

I think the right thing to do is provide the longdesc attribute and do not
clutter your design with the D tag - at least for the template. The D tag is
fine for some of our sites, but it would certainly not help your design. The
description is not interesting anyway! It is somewhat amusing that when I
carefully included the d link, like in
http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse2.htm, HPR then has the D link right after a
"Long Description" link.

As far as adding white on white D link, that will work for the screen
readers I know. It is done at http://firstgov.gov  (white on white) and
http://www.assistivetech.net (black on black)  for the skip navigation
links.

Jim