Re: Access/France --GuideDog travel troubles

Raman,

I'm aware of some of these problems, and have been encountering increasing
problems around wheelchair access on several EU airlines recently as well.
(For instance two weeks ago I was pulled off a flight in the Netherlands
because they wanted to dismantle my wheelchair piece by piece.) Have
started to follow up with a few organizations. If anyone is aware of a
European-Union-wide effort related to airline accessibility, could you send
info to me at jbrewer@w3.org (please don't reply to the list).

Raman, I've responded to you in more detail off-line.

I suggest that any others commenting on this message do it off-line unless
it adds information to the travel alert related to W3C meetings that Raman
has already provided here.

Thanks,

- Judy

At 02:49 PM 4/13/01 -0700, T. V. Raman wrote:
>Judy and Daniel --
>This is a note to alert you and the rest of the WAI with
>respect to travel through France --specifically on Air
>France.
>
>I was not allowed to board an Air France flight in Paris
>returning from the voice browser meeting in January
>--the excuse used was "you dont have a French muzzle."
>
>George Kerscher had similar trouble the following week in
>January --
>this week George was once again thrown out of his flight by
>Air France in Paris..
>George was not allowed to board by the captain
>saying "there is going to be turbulence on this flight and
>that therefore the dog needs to go in the cargo"--
>

>1) Please alert access users travelling to W3C meetings
>   about this problem.
>2) Daniel --could you check for your part on what French
>   laws are?
>

>--Raman
>
>--
>Best Regards,
>--raman
>
>IBM Research: Human Language Technologies
>Phone:        1 (408) 927 2608
>Fax:        1 (408) 927 3012
>Email:        tvraman@us.ibm.com
>WWW:      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman
>PGP:          http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc
>Snail:        IBM Almaden Research Center,
>              650 Harry Road
>              San Jose 95120

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)