RE: !important & User Styles

There was some work done on constraint-based styles (i.e. being able to say
font-size: > 24 pt !important ) which was demonstrated in Amaya, but which
was not picked up as part of CSS. Perhaps the PF working group should look
for it to be reintorduced?

Charles McCN

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Jon Hanna wrote:

  > Hi Jon,
  >
  > I've also experienced inconsistencies in implementation of user
  > styles when
  > class attributes are used in the author's style Sheet, as these are
  >  unlikely to be recognised by the user's style sheet.
  >
  > Does anyone know a way around this?

  The problem is that since styles applied to classes over-ride styles
  applied to elements they will be the one shown.
  For authors this means that class styles should ideally not over-ride
  styles likely to affect accessibility, and if font-sizes are used
  they should be as percentages (so they will be at least relative to
  the user-style if there is one, e.g. if your author style for <p> has
  a font-size of 10pt and for .small is 80% then it should still be
  readable by someone who over-rides <p> to have a font size of 18pt).

  I've thought for some time now (and maybe this is already in the
  Spec, I haven't read it in a while) that stylesheets should be able
  to set hard rules that override everything, e.g. if you could set a
  style on the <body> which meant that nothing in it could have a
  font-size of less than 12pt no matter what it would make user-styles
  a lot more useful.

  gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
  gpg: Signature made Wed Apr 11 06:01:15 2001 EDT using DSA key ID F532BD18