RE: Are Small Text buttons level 2 compliant

[DJW:]  I tend to agree with this as well.  CSS failed
to achieve its aims because there was no commercial
imperative to implement it completely and accurately,
but there was one to implement certain features.  As
a result, it is one more thing that one was to allow
for and work round broken and incomplete implementations
that will mean that CSS will never fulfill its aims until
most current GUI browsers have disappeared.

(However, I'm fairly sure that custom fonts, one of the main
reasons for text as graphics, will degrade gracefully even
across broken CSS implementations.)

BUTTON was always ill conceived, because of the lack
of backward compatibility, and because the market had
already settled on less structured solutions, even
before IE4 mis-implemented it (I actually tested HTML
to be used for an exhibition in an HTML 4 only envrionment
on Lynx, and had the buttons work, only to find that they
didn't work with IE!)  The market is also concerned about
backward compatibility to Netscape.