RE: Windows 2K, slightly off-topic

Dear Dick and Group,

Yes, Microsoft has apparently done wonders with Win2K, and yes, I’ve read
all I can from the Microsoft site.  And yes, Microsoft’s take on it is
pretty much the antithesis of third party.  The news is all so good I can’t
help but wonder what the catch is!  We’ve got Win2K in the office, but I
haven’t had the chance to play with it much.  Let me ask you my two tough
questions:

Of the software products listed in your ...aids.htm resource, less than half
are listed as being Win2K compatible.  (And this is Microsoft’s database
mind you.  Many of the listed compatible products are VERY obscure -- even
for someone who has been in the AT business for over ten years.)  How
quickly do you see this changing?  What is Microsoft doing to help?  Try to
be realistic, keep in mind that the AT hardware manufactures have been
extremely slow to adopt USB -- despite the obvious benefits for companies
that specialize in alternative keyboards and mice.  (In all fairness to
Microsoft, a number of excellent packages are already Win2K compatible, so I
am optimistic the everyone who wants to upgrade has that option.)  Aside
from JAWS, are there any screen readers available (from companies I am
likely to have heard from)?  Again, JAWS is a terrific product, I am just
trying to get a sense if consumers with disabilities really have many
product choices.

How good is the built-in voice Narrator?  Does Microsoft believe that it is
sufficient for someone who is blind but with, perhaps, modest expectations?
What Microsoft brand products does Narrator provide full access to?

Thanks very much,
Bruce