Re: Cookies

At 04:28 PM 9/5/2000 , Shane Anderson wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a question about cookies. I have heard that they should not be used
>in order to have an accessible website. However, I have not been able to
>find anything at the WAI on this subject. Can anyone lead me to information
>on the subject of cookies and accessibility, and how they are linked?

I think the main problem is that not all browsers out there support
cookies -- older versions of Lynx, for example, and some early web
browsers for people with visual disabilities, have no support for
cookies.

However, it should be pointed out that this is a limitation of old
technology more than it really is an actual accessibility hurdle.
Cookies themselves are just one technology which isn't inherently
inaccessible -or- accessible.

Any site which uses cookies should also account for the fact that
cookies can be turned off, deleted, unsaved, rejected, or otherwise
not use "as desired" -- regardless of whether or not the user is a
person with a disability.  As such, a well-planned site has alternate
options to cookies available when required.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                       http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta                  http://www.edapta.com/