Media coverage monitoring [was: Re: Bill Frezza]

Patrick:

I've been thinking about ways to split off different areas of discussion
the WAI Interest Group list, and this is an interesting possibility.

The Education & Outreach mailing list is more focused on development of
specific E/O deliverables, such as curricula, reference pages, etc., and
that mailing list doesn't necessarily include the people who catch the
press coverage. (W3C monitors press coverage on topics related to W3C work;
however the WAI IG list is generally faster at spotting the articles, and
inaccuracies in some of the articles.)

So, two possibilities:
(1) start a separate WAMCM mailing list as Patrick proposes; or,
(2) invite people to post the articles that they notice onto the EOWG
(Education & Outreach Working Group) list, and W3C staff and/or EOWG
members can respond as appropriate. The EOWG list, by the way, is publicly
viewable from the EOWG home page <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO>, and accepts
public postings.

Thoughts?

- Judy

At 01:58 PM 3/7/00 -0800, Patrick Burke wrote:
>Perhaps we need a Web_Access_Media_Coverage_Monitoring (WAMCM) listserv
>(snappier titles gratefully accepted). I have found the opinion pieces
>posted to the list to be very useful in formulating my own accessibility
>arguments, but I understand the reasons for excluding these items from
WAI-IG.

>I haven't been on the Education & Outreach list. Are discussions of
>strategy & useful lines of argument appropriate there (again excluding
>full-scale cross-posts)?
>
>Patrick
>
>At 09:57 AM 3/6/00 , Judy Brewer wrote:
>>Bruce,
>>
>>It's spelled out pretty clearly at
>><http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG/Overview.html#Uselist>
>>-- "Don't cc the WAI IG list with messages you are sending to other
>>organizations."
>>
>>If you have a letter that you think is important for WAI IG to see, then
>>you can send a separate copy to WAI IG -- but note also at
>><http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG/Overview.html#Uselist>
>>-- "This is a large list. Keep your comments brief and to the point."
>[...]
Director,Web Accessibility Initiative(WAI), World Wide Web Consortium(W3C)

WAI Interest Group home page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG
Previous WAI IG Updates: http://www.w3.org/WAI/IG/Overview.html#Updates