Re: What's the scoop on Lynx for DOS

Alan,

At 13:40 2000-03-03 -0500, Alan Cantor wrote:
>My IPS is about to discontinue shell account access, and with it, support for
>Lynx, which is my browser of choice for most things. I recall hearing about a
>Dos-based version of Lynx that can be run on a Windows-based PC. Three
>questions:
>1. How does Dos Lynx compare with Unix Lynx?

Don't know, I've never used the Unix version

There is a DOS version, but there is also a 32-bit Windows version; that's probably the one you want to get (see below)

>2. Can the program be installed by a technophobe?

Can you use WinZip? Then you can. All you need to do is unzip the archive in a directory (letting it cretae subdirectories but that's the default), then create a shortcut (the latter for convenience only - you can start it from Explorer)

>3. Where do you get it?

http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/
Windows: lynx_w32.zip
DOS: lynx_386.zip

 From the readme.txt:

The Win32 version will work on Win95 or WinNT using the standard winsock.
Win3.11 will NOT work -- not even with win32s and wolverine installed.
This is a console application meaning that it appears to run in a DOS box
within Windows, but it accesses the Windows network layer and other kernel
functions directly.

Cheers,

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/