RE: Tool Tip behavior

This behavior of MSIE/JFW, that it reads the title, not ALT,  is
undesirable, right?

My understanding is that Title is what's supposed to pop up for sighted
folks.  Therefore it should add to--not be redundant to the image.

For example, if there's a "contact us" button, it would be silly to
redundantly pop up "contact us" for a sighted person.  It's more reasonable
to pop up something that adds to what they are already reading, e.g.  "and
we'll listen".

On the other hand, a blind user needs to hear what was on the button in the
first place, not just the added info.  The blind user needs alt text saying
"contact us", plus access to what's popped up to the sighted user, vx. "and
we'll listen".

So JFW/ MSIE needs to give access to both ALT and title, not just what the
sighted user sees.

Len

At 03:26 PM 2/22/00 -0500, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>JFW 3.5 (in conjunction with MSIE 5.01) reads the TITLE defined for the
>buttons, and not the ALT text, so that when i tab-to the tap-logo button,
>i hear:

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)