RE: A few comments on NIDRR's Abledata website

Dear Marjolein,

FWIW, I think your comments are right on the money.
AbleData got taken over by this "new" group a few years ago and, IMHO, they
added a little flash but not much content and functionality.

Compare it to the single interface design at Trace:
http://trace.wisc.edu/tcel/abledata/

"Hyper-AbleData" (it use to be a Macintosh HyperCard stack) sadly, is a
little more out of date, but I find the interface to be SO much more
functional that it is the one *I* use (when I need to look up wheelchairs or
driving controls or the like).  Happily, Trace updates the computer/AAC
portion regularly -- and that is the information I am more regularly in need
of!  That separate database can be found at:
http://trace.wisc.edu/tcel/tbase/

When we discuss other people's web sites, I think we should do the site's
author(s) the courtesy of alerting them to that fact.  If they choose not to
contribute to the thread, that's fine, but at least they would have the
choice!

-- Bruce Bailey

[snip]
>> Your statement is that a good design would not necessitate two versions.
>> How would you do that without impinging on a form that would be visually
>> appealing for many sighted users?  How would you let me still get the
>> format that Abledata presents which I like?
>
> I think I've answered that but do ask if I've not made myself
> clear enough.
[snip]