Re: a site in scotland

Hi there David,

I've been interested in how these "Cool Site" or "Best of the Web" things
work for a while now.  For example, one magazine I used to read had regular
"Best Site" awards - most of which were not even nearly accessible at all
(and therefore potentially illegal of course).  I wrote to them but got no
response.

However I am pleased to say that at least the British Higher Education
awards this year are looking at accessibility as a criteria for judging the
entries.
http://www.ucisa.ac.uk/docs/awards/aims2000.htm

On the separate issue of the Silicon Glen site (I assume its referring to
the technology and not the implants!), you should be aware that
Accessibility has a far lower profile here than in the US.  That's not
an excuse of course, but perhaps a reason.  I think on the whole web
developers over here don't even realise that there are issues.  Of course I
think this is increasingly being redressed (as I hope even the funding of
our centre demonstrates) but we have a long way to go.

Anyway, as I'm only just up the road from the site developer, in Dundee,
I'll drop him a line.  In fairness to him, his site is better than many I
have seen.   I'm more worried about half of the organisations web sites that
he links to however.  I used to be involved with some of them so I'll see
what I can do.

- Paul
--
Paul Booth, Project Officer, DISinHE Office.
The national centre for Disability and Information Systems in Higher