Re: alt text seen or not?

I think this points up a big hole in our guidelines for all the groups.
we are focus on what we call disabilities and we should be focusing on
functional limitations one of wich can be ecconomics or lack of control
over the environment.  I prefer and I am a blind person who it wouldn't
matter for, that we think beyond the bar and look at making sites as
functional as possible for all human beings on the planet children not
withstanding as they will grow to possibly ecconomically disadvantaged
children or perhaps to children who have no control over their
environment.  Or to put it another way, those children might be
assisting their parents and they are not going to understand why in
school perhaps they can or cannot see the alt text or whatever and at
home the opposite is true.  They will not care either, they will just be
frustrated.  I am possibly not making my point here but the top of the
message is what is most meaningful.  I don't care what the guidelines
say, I am not interested in making sites accessible to just the blind, I
do though want those children who are over 80 years old and who still
have a desire and ability to live a full life to enjoy their new found
freedom on the web.  I will quote only the end of this last message.

pjenkins@us.ibm.com wrote:
<...severely snipped...>
> Is the issue that government webmaster don't have the funds [economic
> issue] to add the redundant text links?

There are other issues of this nature which are bound to come up and if
we do not address them now, there will be plenty to pay down the road.
I hope that the wcglwg will take some of the knowledge we have gained
over the past months in to account when doing their continued good work.
Thanks!
--
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/poehlman