RE: Fwd: Congressional hearing on ADA and Internet

PLS KEEP ME POSTED, I WORK TWO BLOCKS FORM THERE AND CAN ATTEND!

-----Original Message-----
From: Kynn Bartlett [mailto:kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2000 8:48 PM
To: Kelly Ford
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Congressional hearing on ADA and Internet

At 03:29 AM 1/16/2000 , Kelly Ford wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>I apologize for the length of this material.  However I believe those
interested in web accessibility may want to read this information.  I do not
have additional information at this time about any hearing scheduled to talk
about this topic.  However, if any such hearing does take place, it will be
critical for those interested in web accessibility to be present to present
our views.

Is there an executive summary anywhere? :)

>>VI.     Conclusion
>>
>>Once the Federal government promulgates accessibility requirements that
>>apply to Federal department and agency Internet sites, they will likely be
>>used by private litigants suing private industry as a model for
>>accessibility standards that should apply to private Internet sites
through
>>the ADA.  In light of the significance of the Internet economy to recent
>>economic growth, the costs that application of the ADA would impose on
that
>>rapidly expanding segment of the economy, the opinion of the Clinton
>>Administration's Justice Department that the ADA does apply to the
Internet,
>>and the substantial First Amendment implications of an application of the
>>ADA to the Internet, the development of a legislative record on these
issues
>>now would likely prove valuable to all interested parties.

I'm not sure I get what this is saying.  Is it saying "because the
Internet is so vital to our future economy, we don't want to touch
it, and so we're going to build this vital future economy that
people with disabilities can't use?"