Re: WAI Comments on U.S. Sec.508 NPRM available

At 2000-05-31 11:42-0400, Judy Brewer wrote:
>For those following the U.S. Section 508 Notice of Proposed Rulemaking,
>WAI's comments have been submitted and are available at:
>         http://www.w3.org/2000/05/w3cwai-508nprm.html
I appreciate the thorough and detailed comments WAI submitted. I find
interesting the 508 generalizations and omissions that you have so
carefully expressed.

Your identification that the W3C work has copyright implications poses
an interesting dilemma to the access board, as they pick and choose,
and rephrase without W3C permission.

The W3C WAI guidelines do refer to W3C recommendations, which do not
always generalize to new means to convey information. A concern of the
Access Board is to avoid locking into old and aging technology. Some of
the W3C enthusiasm for developing consistency among their various, and
rapidly evolving technical recommendations

>While I cannot confirm this directly, I have heard from several people
>involved in submitting that the U.S. Access Board is still accepting
>comments through this week. If you are interested, you could contact them
>to confirm.

I hope you are right; the deadline was May 30.

Minor typo in mis-transcribing from 508:
In (b)(7) "carat" (a gemstone measure) should be "caret" (a pointer).

>Regards,
>
>- Judy
Regards/Harvey