From: Kynn Bartlett [mailto:kynn@idyllmtn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 11:07 AM
To: Michael W Baker; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Tables

At 1:54 PM -0400 5/10/00, Michael W Baker wrote:
>I just read the San Jose design standards document. Item 10 states that
>frames and tables should be avoided because screen readers can't decipher
>them. How are you supposed to deal with page layout without tables?

You probably should ask San Jose about their design standards
document.  The current WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
allow for the use of tables since stylesheets are not supported,
but they caution you to make sure that your pages make sense if
the tables are "linearized", which effectively means "if all your
tables were converted to comments, does the page still make
sense?"

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/