  From: Michael W Baker
  To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
  Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 11:00 AM
  Subject: Legal Guidelines

  I work for a company that designs a great deal of government web sights and am in charge of defining design standards to meet the accessibility requirements. I have been following numerous lists and discussions and can't seem to get a clear answer to a few very important questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  Here they are:

  1)What are the specific legal standards for accessible design for government web sights? I'm under the impression that they are not fully agreed upon and this issue is still being resolved. Am I right? If so, when is a decision expected?

  2)What is the time frame that existing government sites will be required to comply with accessibility standards?

  3) Does Front Page render pages that are not compliant with accessibility guidelines. I would imagine so, but I can't get a definitive answer. If so, do you know if there fixes in the future that will enable Front page to be used?
  Thank you,
  Mike Baker
  Zin Technologies (formerly ADF)
  e-CITe Division