Re: WaSP review of (Windows) MSIE 5.5

----- Original Message -----
From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>

> At 12:50 PM 04/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >Sorry, I've misplaced the email where Judy told us how she would like
> >references from other media to be handled.
> >
> >Leading paragraphs from URL:
> >http://www.webstandards.org/ie55.txt
> >follow (article is short)...
>
> That was the polite version. Yesterday they released a long-overdue Word
> from the WaSP that was no-holds-barred:
>
> http://www.webstandards.org/wfw/ieah.html

Can anyone figure out what WaSP hopes to accomplish with these public
flames?  They're acting as though Windows IE 5.5 is supposed to be a major
rewrite when it's clearly an incremental upgrade.  Mac IE and Win IE are
developed by different teams--in fact Mac IE is contracted out, I
believe--so there has never been any reason to suppose that their
technology advances hand in hand.  For all anyone knows, there could be a
Win IE 6 beta, with standards support comparable to Mac IE 5, by the time
Netscape 6 goes final.

In the meantime, WaSP throwing a tantrum just gives Microsoft and others
an excuse to dismiss them out of hand.  Also in the meantime, press hype
notwithstanding, no major browser completely supports any version of HTML,
in either officially released versions or current betas, and I'm not yet
convinced I see bug-free CSS coming down the pipe either.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling@ohiolink.edu