RE: Can ADA be counterproductive (was Re: Legal leg to stand on?)

I do not know about any websites being taken down because of the ADA.
However, I do know about web sites that have been subject to ADA complaints
where the Settlement Agreement requires the affected entities to follow the
City of San Jose Disability Access Design Standard and the WAI draft
guidelines.

I am also aware of a growing number of government and business web sites
that are including accessible web design in their web site upgrades.

So that there is no misunderstanding, the City of San Jose web accessibility
standard was developed for the City webmasters (over 30!) as a minimal
requirement so that I could manage ADA web site complaints.  I point my
webmasters to the W3C WAI effort for technical assistance and for helps in
going beyond our minimal requirements to improve customer service.

Cynthia D. Waddell
ADA Coordinator
City of San Jose, CA USA
Cynthia D. Waddell   Cynthia.Waddell@ci.sj.ca.us
ADA Coordinator       City of San Jose, CA

801 North First Street, Room 460
San Jose, California 95110-1704
(408)277-4034
(408)971-0134 TTY