Re: Pentium III-only sites coming

Well, I guess that's another black mark in Australia's copybook. Hopefully
we do more good than bad though (smile).

Whether the idea dies the death it probably deserves, or expands into the
nightmare that people seem to fear, depends on how many people buy Pentium
3 machines, and whether they then play in teh sites or just write comments
saying they wished the money had been psent making their computer cheaper
instead. (and leave the site alone. Unfortunately I haven't worked out how
to have my cake and eat it. Yet.)

Oh well. Interoperability won't be built in a day. (Although I sometimes
wonder whether a bit more thinking would have eant that it could...)

cheers

Charles

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 01:30 p.m. 03/02/99 EST, Lovey@aol.com wrote:
  >Please note the following article I was sent today.
  >Pentium III-only sites coming
  >By DAVID FLYNN | INTEL is working with several Australian content providers to
  >establish Web sites that are not only optimised for PCs based on the Pentium
  >III processor but restricted to Pentium III machines.

  Sounds like a really dopey idea.  About as dopey as the identity
  tracking on Pentium IIIs.  I predict that this idea is dopey enough
  that it will die just from being dopey once the Pentium III marketing
  rush is over.

  You know, using the same technology I suppose one could always
  EXCLUDE Pentium IIIs as a way of protest.

  --
  Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
  President, Governing Board Member

phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles