Re: Web designer tells peers to damn accessibility/useability -Reply

At 12:46 p.m. 01/27/99 -0500, Lance! A Musical of Hope wrote:
>What
>I hope to stop is not progress toward a standardized, open Web but
>rather the continual process of propping up pages to work in
>outmoded/outdated browsers using workarounds that take up too much time
>which may create an atmosphere of fear of new capabilities (including
>those designed to open up Web access) because we're so busy covering up
>past mistakes.

You know, I don't particularly disagree with Lance on this one
myself.

We have to keep in mind several points:

* Many old and current browsers are SERIOUSLY BROKEN when it comes to
  correct handling of HTML.
* HTML 4.0 is designed so that it degrades gracefully in non-broken
  browsers that correctly implemented HTML 2.0 or 3.2.
* There is nothing wrong with using new technologies, including whiz-
  bang multimedia stuff, as long as you do it right, and that includes
  providing alternative content.
* HTML 4.0 is a new technology itself, and it incorporates many new
  features that are _necessary_ because older versions of HTML did
  _not_ have the full range of features needed for accessible web
  pages.  Even if you coded exactly to the HTML 2.0 or 3.2 standard,
  you might not have been producing an accessible page.  HTML 4.0 --
  a new technology -- is vital to accessibility!

So, while I didn't bother to read all of Lance's article, I think his
points stated in email to this list shouldn't be dismissed.

Six Principles of Accessible Web Design:         http://www.kynn.com/+six
Spring 1999 Virtual Dog Show!                     http://www.dogshow.com/
Enroll now for my web accessibility course    http://www.kynn.com/+access