RE: Addition to Page Authoring Guidelines....??

On Tuesday, January 26, 1999 2:50 PM, B.K. DeLong [SMTP:bkdelong@naw.org]
wrote:

> At 02:08 PM 1/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >If you give the author an
> >option to leave these blank (null) then the links may not be visible at
> all
> >to a blind user
>
> No...my reasoning for adding an option to leave the ALT attribute blank
is
> because many Web developers and Authoring Tools use invisible "spacer"
> graphics for the purpose of layout. Perhaps when the user chooses a null
> option, a prompt will say "Are you sure? People who use text-browsers,
have
> images turned off, or visually impared users using screen readers will
not
> be able to see this image."

I don't want to belabor this point... I think null tags are fine, but I
think the authoring tool should know when the image in question is a link,
and if it is, refuse to put a null tag on it. Maybe I'm missing something
here, but do designers use these spacer graphics as links? I think null is
the best alt string for many many situations, just not for links!

> --
> B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
> Director                         Suite 140CSC-305
> New England Chapter     Boston, MA 02115
> World Organization        (617) 247-3753
> of Webmasters
>
> http://www.world-webmasters.org
> bkdelong@naw.org

					Rich Caloggero