RE: emotica, ASCII art and accessibility - some suggestions

When I saw this, I thought, nope. ABBR is for abbreviations. In my
Western-mind I assumed this strictly involved letters. However, according
to the HTML 4.0 specification, I may be wrong:

"The ABBR and ACRONYM elements allow authors to clearly indicate
occurrences of abbreviations and acronyms. Western languages make extensive
use of acronyms such as "GmbH", "NATO", and "F.B.I.", as well as
abbreviations like "M.", "Inc.", "et al.", "etc.". Both Chinese and
Japanese use analogous abbreviation mechanisms, wherein a long name is
referred to subsequently with a subset of the Han characters from the
original occurrence. Marking up these constructs provides useful
information to user agents and tools such as spell checkers, speech
synthesizers, translation systems and search-engine indexers."

I am by no means an expert in language contructs. However, all the Chinese
and Japanese characters that I have ever seen certainly reflect a construct
similar to the effect of an emoticon. Maybe David's suggestion is a good one?

- Mike

At 04:53 PM 1/15/99 -0500, David Clark wrote:
>I do not know why this has not been proposed before, but can't the whole
>issue be solved by defining your art with the ABR tag?
>
>David Clark
>CAST, Inc.

Mike Paciello                     Email: <paciello@ma.ultranet.com>
WebABLE! Solutions          Tel: (603) 598-9544
131 D.W. Highway #618     Fax: (603) 598-2839
Nashua, NH 03060             WWW: <http:://www.webable.com>

Please make a donation to the Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation.
(http://www.yuri.org)

"A creativity initiative is any proposal for action-inciting change that earns
at least one serious conversation with someone other than the originator’s
spouse, friend, or office mate…." – John Kao, Jamming