Re: Microsoft passes Bobby

At 03:23 a.m. 12/22/98 -0500, Marti wrote:
>Did you mean the actual page or the text-only version?  Just passing Bobby
>does not mean a site a friendly or accessible, just that it is a good start.
>Try accessing a site with a screen reader before you pass out kudos. The
>text-only link is at the bottom of the page and the link says 'click here'.

To Marti and everyone else--

Baby steps, folks.

Also, please read my messages a little more carefully.  I said that they
passed Bobby -- I didn't claim it was absolutely friendly or accessible,
just that it passed.

Now, I believe we should compliment folks who take those baby steps,
and encourage them to continue forward; other people, judging from the
email I've received, disagree and believe we should demand more and
more.

Quite frankly, I'll take my approach and you can take yours; I see
something that I think is a good thing (and I think this _is_ a
positive, good thing), and I will state it.  Other folks, feel free
to tear down and criticize; there's a LOT of that in the "web
accessibility movement", and hey, if you think that works for you,
by all means.

Feel free to issue whatever blistering criticism of the Microsoft
page you like; if you want, you can make fun of me for not checking
it against X or Y, or with such-and-such a browser, or for not
checking every page on the Microsoft site.  Have fun!  I've got
a web accessibility class to teach, meanwhile.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California