screen readers and good sites

to follow up on what Bernard E. Simpkin said:

Q1:
> We have been asked to create a website to be accessible by users with
> varying degrees of visual impairment. As we examine different options
> there are some questions we have.
>
> Can anyone help us to identify any screen reader software?

I would suggest you start at the glossary of adaptive technology
techniques at the University of Toronto.

   Linkname: Adaptive Technology Resource Center - Technical Glossary

Q2:
> Are there any websites that have been created to work with this
> software that I can be directed to?

From a recent discussion on the <webwatch@telelists.com>
-- note new address -- mailing list:

to follow up on what Jeff Dunn said:

> I'm  in need of finding an  example on the net of a  on-line  store front,
> that happens to be both  speech friendly and visually  attractive.

Karl Hebenstreit had a useful suggestion on this one.

Use a search engine to pull up pages that link to Bobby, and then
skim them until you find one you really like.

His note with three ready-made search URLs is at

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/1998OctDec/0109.html

You could do a similar thing with the blue ribbon campaign or
anybrowser.

Al