From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Craig Wilson
Sent: Friday, November 20, 1998 4:32 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Dealing with Artistes

>   But I'm an artiste'!  My work is purely graphical and
>   means nothing to someone is blind; they are not the
>   target audience for my gallery of visual artwork, and
>   so I don't need to be concerned with them.
>
>What do you feel is the best response to this -- or are they
>right?

I suppose what could be said varies according to the particulars,  but one
response I have is that there's a way it's easy to leave out the social
context of peoples' lives when we start talking about "disabled users,"
almost as though they live in some alien land without friends, families and
colleagues whose abilities may differ from theirs.

For example, take the case of someone who's blind who has a friend (with no
vision disabilities) who's very interested in the culture of pre-Hellenic
Greece. If that blind person found a graphically-rich site devoted to the
subject and were given enough information about the graphics to have a
sense of what was there, the site could be shared with the friend and their
interaction might provide a broadened context in which both persons could
appreciate the graphics more than either could individually.

Regards,
Craig Wilson