RE: [Fwd: [TECHWIRE] Sun Wins Java Ruling Against Microsoft]

The subject is incorrect, Sun has not won it's lawsuit it filed against
Microsoft.  The judge said that Sun's request for an injunction had merit,
and made a preliminary ruling, but the lawsuit is still very much active.

For more information on Java and Microsoft's response please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/java/, the top level information is repeated here:
-----
Microsoft to respect preliminary ruling in Java lawsuit

Microsoft has announced that it will comply with the preliminary ruling of
Federal District Court Judge Ronald H. Whyte in its contractual dispute with
Sun Microsystems. Judge Whyte's ruling gives Microsoft 90 days to begin
supporting Sun's Java Native Interface (JNI) in the Microsoft Java virtual
machine, and to turn off by default certain Microsoft-specific keywords in
its development tools. "While we are obviously disappointed with this
preliminary ruling, we are gratified that the court's order should not
impact customers using Microsoft products today, nor will any products be
recalled," said Paul Maritz, group vice president of platforms and
applications at Microsoft. Visit the Microsoft PressPass Web site to read
the complete press release.
-----
From the Press Release:

Customer Access to Microsoft Products Not Impeded

REDMOND, Wash. - Nov. 17, 1998 - Microsoft Corp. announced Tuesday that it
will comply with the preliminary ruling issued by Federal District Court
Judge Ronald H. Whyte in its contractual dispute with Sun Microsystems Inc.

The ruling requires Microsoft to support Sun's Java Native Interface (JNI)
in the Microsoft Java virtual machine and requires Microsoft to turn off by
default certain Microsoft-specific keywords in its development tools.
Customers using Microsoft products today with Java programming language
support are not affected by the ruling, nor are developers prevented from
taking advantage of great Windows features in Java programs.

The Judge's order allows 90 days for compliance with the injunction, which
gives Microsoft time to ensure there is no interruption in the shipment of
any products to customers.

"While we are obviously disappointed with this preliminary ruling, we are
gratified that the court's order should not impact customers using Microsoft
products today, nor will any products be recalled," said Paul Maritz, group
vice president of platforms and applications at Microsoft. "Further, the
Judge has upheld Microsoft's right to innovate and offer developers the
choice of building great Windows applications using the Java language even
when complying with the Court's order."

"We respect the Court's ruling and are reviewing our legal options," said
Tom Burt, associate general counsel. "This is a preliminary ruling on a very
technical contract interpretation issue involved in this lawsuit. Microsoft
has brought new and innovative Java technology to our customers. The Court
has confirmed Microsoft's right to modify and improve the Java technologies
it licensed from Sun, but has preliminarily determined that Microsoft may
have overstepped the limitations of our license from Sun in a couple of
respects in giving programming choices to Java developers."

Microsoft is focused on ensuring that its customers are minimally impacted
by the Court's order. This is a preliminary ruling and only one step in this
broader lawsuit. Microsoft remains confident that once all the facts are
presented to the Court, Microsoft will be seen to be in compliance with its
contract.