Re: context?

At 03:03 p.m. 11/13/98 -0800, William Loughborough wrote:
>Wilson Craig of Henter-Joyce: "This is not the case. What Ted said
>to the reporter was 'It's a piece of cake for them (web authors) to make
>a web site work for us (blind computer users).'"

>WL:: The reason we have a WAI and its associated interest and working
>groups is because it's not seen as "a piece of cake" by either most web
>authors or the companies that produce authoring tools.

Well, it's a yes and no situation.  Creating an accessible web page
is NOT harder than creating an inaccessible -- if you know what the
heck you're doing.  This is one of the messages I try to teach to
anyone who takes my CSS or accessible design online classes:  once
you've learned how to do it, it's minimal work, really, to make sure
that a vast number of people can use your page.

So why don't people do it?  Ignorance, mostly.  Laziness isn't even
a big factor, because it's _not_ a lot of work.  Accessible web
design is hard only because people don't know how easy and simple
it is.  That's what I teach, and I think that's the best key to
getting people to do it:  The amount of work necessary is minimal
compared to the benefits.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California