Re: updated user agent guidelines

At 12:59 PM 10-11-98 +-100, fidev <fidev@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>an association in France called FIDEV (Formation et Insertion pour
Déficients Visuels)
>that means Training and Integration for the visually impaired.
>Also, the accessibility of the web is our preocupation

Glad to have the company!
[snip]
>-but does every user agent manufacturer understand the stake of every
recommendation, that means that every user agent manufacturer knows the
customized equipment (terminal braille, voice synthesizer...) used by blind
people or visually impaired?
>-we have to insist on the very important fact that the navigation must be
possible >through the keyboard, and only the keyboard

This is equally as vital to people with physical disabilities. Ideally
Accessibility means adapting software to meet the needs of all people with
any impairment or illness.

[snip]
>Olivier BORIUS, Alain CARLIER, Sonia ZAOUI
>http://fidev.ec-lyon.fr

At 11:27 PM 10-11-98 +0100, Rafael Romero <Rafael.Romero@uv.es> wrote:

[snip]
>5.4 and 5.5: Why specifically KEYBOARD navigation? I agree of course on the
>capital importance of this, but in the spirit of <3.6 device-independent
>manner...> maybe you should reword and say just "navigation", and later
>stressed that it is "including keyboard navigation". Consider the case of a
>hands-free voice-controlled browser.

FIDEV explains why. I'll add that voice will not work for some people or in
noisy evolvements. The keyboard is so basic it is often ignored as a great
way to get work done. It is the input device most likely to be on most
systems. Interesting reading: Keyboard Power by David Berlind
http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/column_102398.html

Regards,
Bryan

-> "Its been said the pebbles can't stop the avalanche, guess the pebbles
didn't have access to the Web!"