Re: Videos & Web Pages

I liked your demos!  I'd like to put in my two cents and mention that I've
solved the centering problem you describe below.  Please see my comments
interspersed with yours, below.

At 09:47 AM 11/2/98 -0400, Geoff Freed wrote:
>        Reply to:   RE>Videos  & Web Pages
---
[snip]
----
>For SMIL, see www.w3.org/audiovideo.  SMIL has been implemented by
>RealNetworks using their new G2 player.  See www.real.com for more
>information as well as documentation on how to add text tracks
>(captions) and additional audio tracks (audio descriptions) to
>multimedia.  I've uploaded two examples of accessible SMIL clips to
>an ftp site:  log on to ftp.wgbh.org, switch to /incoming/ncam,
>download CAR1.ZIP and ELEV1.ZIP and do the following:
>
>CAR1:
>1.  Create C:\CAR
>2.  Unzip CAR1.ZIP into this directory
>3.  Open CAR1.SMI from within the G2

-----
[snip]
-----

>You should see captions and hear audio descriptions.  The captions
>should be centered; I've received a few messages from people saying
>the captions are appearing on the far right.

[Erik]:
The reason some people are seeing the text at the far right is that the
SMIL file's region for the RealText stream is not the same size as the
RealText stream's native size (which is 320 x 180 by default if no width or
height is specified in the RealText's <window...> tag).  The default
behavior of SMIL has changed for the case where no "fit" is given in a
region, and this is the case in the latest Beta-2 G2 player but not in
prior G2 players.  The default "fit" is now "hidden" instead of "fill", so
people with the older players will see RealText resized to fit the given
SMIL region, and newer players will see the top left 120 by 200 pixels of
the un-resized RealText window.  Also, resizing the "system" font (via the
Windows as you will see if you play just the rt file on its own (or in the
SMIL presentation with the latest G2 player).  Note: you don't need to
resize the font if you set the width and height of the rt file in its
window tag as follows: <window width="200" height="120" ...

Hope this helps,

	- Erik

>Geoff Freed
>Project Manager, Web Access Project
>CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media
>WGBH Educational Foundation
>geoff_freed@wgbh.org
>
>--------------------------------------
>Date: 10/31/98 9:21 AM
>To: Geoff Freed
>From: Taylor-Made
>Here is a question that my girlfriend asked me:  How do I put a video on
my page so that it will be accessible.  I told her I didn't know as I would
never use one.  But the person she is doing a page for wants one.  I told
her that it could make her site un-accessible if it didn't work right and
that it will not work on all browsers. (As I know nothing about putting
videos on a page, I hope this information was correct.)  My question for
this listserv is:

>Is there a way to put a video on a page so that it will be accessible?
>
>I thank you for your time and consideration on this matter.
>

>Joyce Taylor
>{jtaylor@taymade.com}
>
>THE EDUCATIONAL EMPORIUM
>http://www.taymade.com/taymade/edu
>
>TAYLOR-MADE
>Desktop Publishing, Web Site Design & Domain Hosting
>http://www.taymade.com
>

>------------------ MIME Information follows ------------------

>------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BE04A6.64160700
>

><<<<<< See above "Message Body" >>>>>>
>
>------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BE04A6.64160700
>

><<<<<< See Enclosure named "text.html" >>>>>>
>
>------=_NextPart_000_000C_01BE04A6.64160700--

>From: "Taylor-Made" <taymade@netnitco.net>
>To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
>Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:13:50 -0600