RE: The Difficulty of Talking About Accessibility for the *

At 11:15 AM 10/5/98 -0400, Robert Neff wrote:

>We need to see everyone as people! I do not mind being corrected, but be
>nice about it!

In this specific case, the term used was one that is regularly seen, if not
necessarily the current "preferred" usage, and it was in one phrase
describing a course on Cascading Style Sheets, and the benefits that can
bring to authors in dealing with accessibility issues (just saying
"Accessibility issues" normally doesn't cut it because people don't always
interpret that as "for those who can't hear, see, have mobility
difficulties, etc).

Instead of a response of "Wow, glad you brought that up!" we get "I find
this phraseology offensive".

It can lead you to feel like throwing up your hands and saying "Fine, we
just won't deal with it." Of course, that's not what we're going to do, but
that kind of complaint can really border on being detrimental, rather than
helpful -- depending on the recipient.

Ann

---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it online! http://www.webgeek.com/about.html

Owner, WebGeek Communications          http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org