RE: [w3c-wai-ig] Tables For The Blind

Henrik,

At Immersion Corporation, we have done work with integrating our force-feedback
mouse with the Web.  One approach that we have brainstormed about is to let users
actually feel the contours of the graphically rendered tables.  Thus, a user
could move the mouse over a table and feel the table walls.  The content of the
cell could be rendered audibly (with a screen reader), but the spatial aspects
of the table is rendered haptically (with a force-feedback device).

We have not yet implemented this.  However, we have implemented "snapping" (being
constrained to) hyperlinks, text boxes, and buttons.  In the same paradigm, the
"link" aspect of the text is displayed with touch, although the content is displayed
with sound.

Of course this doesn't help you if you are using only sound... but, I thought
I'd throw it out to provoke some thought.

Evan Wies
Research Engineer
Immersion Corporation
evan@immerse.com