Re: One of those pesky questions

I think the issue of industry paricipation central to making changes is one
issue we will be talking about at the UI telephone meeting this week.   I
think both the UI and AU groups have this same problem of getting industry
involved.  Microsoft will be particpating in the UI meeting, so they are
showing leadership in this area.  I think we need to be creative in looking
how accessibility features will be implemented, while at the same time not
trying to compromise what are the accessibility goals.

Jon

At 06:40 AM 3/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Both the au and ui groups are meeting via phone this week.  I'm afraid
>I keep having one of those pesky questions cropping up for me.
>
>Basically, how many browser companies have shown a willingness to
>modify their browser software.  Various browser companies may show
>something like moral support.  However, this type of support can
>be fairly cheap.  What happens when they need to expend resources
>for changing their software to include accessibility?  For example,
>as near as I can tell, Netscape has not shown any interest in taking
>on the chore of modifying their browser software to include
>aceesibility aspects.  If the WAI decides what is needed in browsers
>without participation of browser companies, the browser companies
>will have less a sense of ownership of the issues and will be more
>reluctant to make changes to their software.
>
>Scott

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820