Re: ALT tools

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 06:49:49 -0800
From: love26@gorge.net (William Loughborough)
To: dd@w3.org
Subject: Re: ALT tools (was: Censorship by laziness)

At last!  We are back to dealing with the *real* problem.  If my
comments diverted us a bit, I apologize.

One could have a "helper's browser" so that *every time* one accessed a
web site, one would be put into "repair mode" and such volunteers would
automatically police the Web by merely surfing it.  If the validation
process yielded a "thumbs up" the volunteer wouldn't be conscripted into
doing anything.  If repairs were made they would be (automatically?)
included in the "fixit" server.

If volunteers are graded by the end users (repairs could be coded so
that ineffective "taggers" could be educated) we could end up with
"helpers' browsers" that were only in the hands of desirable taggers.

I think your proposal is practical, and of course brilliant <g>.  The
only "twinge" I felt was when you said "degrade gracefully" and I prefer
to think that a verbal description of a picture is a graceful *upgrade"
- - I am "kidding on the square" about that.

If any of this seems cogent, feel free to post it to the list.
- --
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE
http://dicomp.pair.com