RE: Censorship by laziness

Matt's idea of an application that searches for images with missing alt
text is a good one.   I'd suggest an enhancement:  An application that
pops up the web pages that have missing alt text, and puts text entry
fields next to each image where the ALT text is missing.    The user
then just types in the ALT text into each field.

I think this will be more convenient than seeing images one at a time.
I think it would also help make the ALT tags more consistent with each
other and more compatible with the context in which they appear.

This service could be run from a remote server, kind of like Bobby:
you'd give it the URL, it would send back a page with the extra text
fields and a submit button.  After you fill in the fields and click
submit it returns a page with the ALT text included.

Also, you might actually want text fields for all ALT text, not just the
missing ALT text, so someone could conveniently go though and change
wording.  Of course, places where ALT text is missing would be
highlighted.

Of course, building this into web tools, would be best.

Len

All opinions expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my
employer.
kasday@att.com         phone 732 949 2693

Leonard R. Kasday
Room 1J-316A