Re: PICS and accessibility

A PICS-label bureau based on accessibility would be a useful thing, I
suspect. Since one of the things that creates accessibility problems is
lack of allowance for people not using high-bandwidth applications like
Java or pictures, it could double as a way of promoting good design. Many
people who have no apparent access problems choose not to download such
things for the time it takes. If this could be translated into research
which showed that people were filtering out poorly designed websites,
there would be an incentive in the market to improve the overall standard
of design. After all it takes about the same amount of effort to do
something badly as it does to do it well.

Charles McCathieNevile
Sunrise Research Laboratory
RMIT University