re:PPP

At 06:25 a.m. 05/28/98 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>Well, I finally started something! <cat-like smirk>

HEh.

>WL:: Of course there are copout arguments raised about this

"Copout"?  No, these are the types of business decisions that
people who have "influence" -- the ones you want to reach --
have to make every day.

>but to
>accept that it will "cost millions" to begin posting accessible
>materials on such and such a date (skip retrofitting for the moment) is
>absolutely absurd.

No it's not.  If you question the "millions", then can you provide
a better estimate of cost?  How much _will_ it cost to produce
this?

>If the people making these websites are so lame they
>can't incorporate a few criteria into their ritual, they are incompetent
>to be doing this work.

Surprise -- these people _are_ incompetent!  Well, in general, most
web designers are definitely incompetent when it comes to accessible
web design.  That's part of our problem.  People aren't just
_choosing_ to "not make accessible pages"; they're ignorant, both
of the issues and of how to address them.  There's a lot of work
that needs to be done, even among "expert" web designers (let alone
those who are less than expert).

>This is going to happen and by putting some
>pressure on we can accelerate the arrival of the "when" of it.  Even if
>the "edict" just sends a message of "get ready" it's worth doing.

Well, I could agree with a "get ready" message, but in general, I
don't let politicians tell me what I "need" to learn in my
profession. :)

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
Vice President, Marketing and Outreach, HTML Writers Guild