RE: Using htlm editors to produce clean code?

> At 05:42 p.m. 05/16/98 -0700, LBehrens wrote:
> >Does anyone out there know a way to force the Composer segment of
> >Netscape Communicator to include a DOCTYPE declaration, as a step
> >toward validation and accessibility, as requested by the original
> >poster?
>
> Unfortunately, Composer doesn't even seem to maintain the doctypes
> I've set when loading them; e.g., http://www.cgu.edu has 4.0
> Transitional set on it, but if I load it in Composer, the doctype
> mysteriously vanishes when I view/edit the source.

An alternative might be to look backwards, to the SGML roots of html.
Remember that html is an application of SGML, using a singular tagset.

We have started managers and admin people off by giving them
word perfect version 8, which can be used with the html dtd to produce
good SGML documents.

The transition from word processor to 'word processor +' i.e. as a
markup
tool, is not so great. My assumption is that if the manager can do it,
then the secretary / admin people, who are usually far more adept at
picking these things up, can 'eat it for breakfast'. Add a little
training
in the DTD and you have it.

WP8 is not that expensive.

regards, DaveP