Re: D-link and LONGDESC (GL type stuff)

Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>For this reason, I will use LONGDESC -- even though no web
>browsers yet use it -- and not use D-links.  I'm all for the
>idea, but I'm very against the D-link method.

RD::
Just to clarify anything I've said which may have been misunderstood by
anyone reading posts to these lists, I do NOT support placing little Ds all
over the place, visibly or otherwise, and for many of the same reasons as
Kynn stated. Further, I am not 100% convinced of the necessity for an
attribute called LONGDESC (or whatever it's ultimately called), _as I now
understand its purpose_. In my opinion, the _word_ "D-Link" can be used in
the same place as any other navigation hyperlink, such as "Home," "About
Our Company," etc...and can be used that way NOW.

An attribute unsupported by browsers and invisible to anyone who does not
read source code, is still subject to misinterpretation (as I so ably
demonstrated myself at the beginning of this discussion's thread). A
hyperlink, visible or heard to all, serves both the purpose intended AND
promotes awareness of the need for accessibility. Additionally, it might
possibly provide an extended service (information/training) to web audience
members OR designers who might otherwise turn off "accessibility
configurations" in their browsers.

Once it's widely supported, maybe. But I'd still like to hear a better
argument than I have to support its implementation.

It should also be pointed out that no matter what methodology is ultimately
considered "universal usage," the proof of the pudding will be in the
descriptions on the description page itself as to whether or not thorough,
therefore equal, translation has been made from inaccessible media to
accessible. For that, there are no mechanical techniques, as the
responsibility rests with the web author's insight and common sense. But
it's good that we start somewhere, eh? <smile>

Ree' Dolloff