RE: New version of Guidelines

Hi Richard,

Good comments.

Take a look at the new guidelines we just posted at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-0414.html .   If you used the
latest bobby, it was based on the February draft guidelines.  We have
made a number of improvements since then which may address your
concerns.

Also, could you let us know which parts of the guidelines you have
problems with?  For example, what were the three errors that you got
when you ran bobby?  It is very helpful to know where the problems
are.

I'm glad to see you are designing the site so it won't need be needed.
That is the intention of the guidelines.  In fact the guidelines now
state that a text page should only be used if you cannot figure out
any other way to make a page accessible.

Finally, you suggest that more work should be put on the browser
manufacturers.    Jon G's group is doing that right now.  I think they
will be posting a set of browser guidelines soon.  The page author
guidelines are also designed to move as much off the page writer and
onto the browser and screen reader as possible.... As soon as the
browsers adopt the newly recommended features.  Again, if you have any
ideas in regard to things that browsers should do better, either post
them here or directly to the ua group at  w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

Gregg
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors