  • From: Be Information <info@be.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:44:20 -0700
  • Subject: Re: Accessibility
  • To: love26@gorge.net
>What is Be's position on their products being accessible to
>blind/visually impaired people?  Can the OS be used without a mouse?
>Can it be accessed by people using voice synthesizers?
>--
>Love.
>            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE
>http://dicomp.pair.com

Hi, and thanks for writing!

While we have put some thought into alternative input methods and would
like to add things like voice recognition, unfortunately we haven't had the
time or resources to devote to this engineering effort (Be has fewer than
30 engineers!). The good news is that the modular design of the BeOS would
ease the effort to add this kind of support, when there is time and
resources to devote to this effort. I'm afraid I cannot give you a
timeframe as to when to expect this added support.

Thanks for your interest in Be!
Brian
Developer Technical Support
Be, Inc.