RE: Style sheets for access

> At 02:09 PM 12/5/97 -0800, Charles (Chuck) Oppermann wrote:
> >How about recommending that browsers implement a "user always wins" switch?

CMcCN::
The CSS standard does this. But it is a recommendation. Why not make it
part of the Cascade rules? The virtue of this is it is fairly easy to
make the change, and it would be retro-active for CSS1.

The problem of specificity is a little harder. It would be possible
simply to allow ANY user Style to override author styles, and ignore the
specificity rules. But they can be a useful tool. So it would be better
to include a mechanism which allows the user to set the specificity of
their style. For example, I may like to have my H2 style override any H2
subclass, but have a (differently styled) H2 subclass which will override
an H2 with an ID attribute. This preserves the ability to mark out
particular objects which the subclassing allows.

Charles McCathieNevile
charlesn@srl.rmit.edu.au
Sunrise Research Laboratory
RMIT University