RE: webwatch-l What To Do About .gif Files

	Chuck's concern about whether  a  "free service will pay someone
to read
>  and type in the thousands of lines of text that appear in the
> coupons?"

	was previously addressed  when Al wrote "The text defining the
business offer
	  	needs to be captured on the way into the image, not as
the image
	  	is reduced to a GIF.":

	In other words, someone typed the contents already when they
made the coupon.  They were likely using an object oriented drawing
program, so at that point they could cut and paste it into the LONGDESC
without re-typing.

	Or better yet,  a comphrehensive authoring package that had
communication between the drawing program and the program handling the
HTML would do this automatically.  Alternatively, this could be done in
an authoring package that integrated drawing and HTML, but I think  it
would be better to establish standard communication between authoring
components instead of tying them inextricably together.  An example,
perhaps, of the high powered technology that David mentioned

	I think this is important because in general, all the text in a
gif should be in the ALT text unless there's a really good reason to not
do so, and I find this is very seldom done.

	A problem, by the way, could be reading order: if there are
several text blocks in the image.  Which one would be read out first?

	Also, if the ALT text and LONGDESC were part of the image
header, it would simplfy the bookeeping, but that's another discussion.

	Len

Opinions my own, not necessarily those of my employer.
kasday@att.com         phone 732 949 2693

Leonard R. Kasday
Room 1L-333
AT&T Laboratories