Re: future-proofing MEDIA

to follow up on what Dave Raggett said:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
>
> > One medium clearly missing from the current list is the
> > character-cell array.  That's a media type that is interfaced to
> > the WWW past, present, and future.  And it includes the
> > refreshable Braille display and TTD as well as the DOS console and
> > VT-100.  It does not make sense to lump it with pixelated screens.
>
> What would be a good name for this class? Here are some ideas:
>
>  -  character-cell-array
>  -  text-only
>  -  tty
>  -  console
>  -  terminal
>
> "character-cell-array" doesn't seem quite right. I have used
> "text-only" quite a lot myself. "tty" is my favorite I think
> and consistent with the "<TT>...</TT> element which has been
> part of HTML from day one.

Character-cell-array is perhaps technically most precise but it
sure doesn't come trippingly off the tongue.

My weak favorite is "console" because that term is used in the X
and Windows environments where they actually have options.  I say
"weak favorite" because I care more about the definition than the
name.

-- Al