UPDATE to Significant Implications of California Bill AB 1757 (WCAG) for W3C Members

Hello W3C members,

Some updates about California AB 1757 and related matters on regulations and litigation that impact W3C members:

1) California AB 1757 <https://legiscan.com/CA/text/AB1757/id/3009172/California-2023-AB1757-Amended.html> is set for another hearing on August 15 in the California Senate Appropriations Committee. If the bill moves out of committee and gets a hearing, it will probably become law. If it doesn’t, it dies for this year.

The big impact this bill would have is it enables plaintiff lawyers to sue "web resource providers" directly using California’s Unruh statutes which have steep penalties. If your organization has something to say about the bill, it would be prudent to reach out to the committee members ASAP and offer your position (opposition or support).

Senate Appropriations contact: Liah Burnley <mailto:liah.burnley@sen.ca.gov>
Here is the Contact List of Senate Members <https://sapro.senate.ca.gov/sites/sapro.senate.ca.gov/files/2024%20Committee%20Member%20Staff%204-2-24.pdf> in the appropriations committee
Sponsor of the bill is Ash Kalra <https://fastdemocracy.com/bill-search/ca/legislators/CAL000132/> from San Jose.

2) City Journal just published an article, which mentions W3C: AB 1757: In Compliance—Out of Business  <https://www.city-journal.org/article/in-compliance-out-of-business>

3) The Wall Street Journal published an article: The Law Firm Hitting Businesses With Thousands of Disability Suits <https://www.wsj.com/business/entrepreneurship/small-business-web-accessibility-lawsuits-c910f6fb>. A vast majority of these lawsuits rely on claims of alleged non-conformance to WCAG to allege discrimination and seek settlements.

4) Accessibe has been sued in a class action lawsuit <https://www.karlinlaw.com/accessibe-was-sued-in-case-named-sherwin-k-parikh-md-p-c-d-b-a-tribeca-skin-center-on-behalf-of-itself-and-all-other-similary-situated-vs-accessibe-inc/>.

Please reach out to me directly with any questions or to discuss.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

Nayan Padrai
EcomBack
8030 Remmet Ave #14, Canoga Park, CA 91304
T | +1-818-839-8888 x 108
C | + 1-917-692-0425