Re: [EXT] Re: AI and the future of Web accessibility Guidelines

Work that some of us are doing in other groups like the accessibility internationalization and equity community groups will be worth reflecting upon. Looking to those who’ve been traditionally excluded from these conversations is also key. They’re being left out of many conversations. Timnit Gehru’s DAIR is another organization worth listening to.

________________________________
From: Gregg Vanderheiden RTF <gregg@raisingthefloor.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2024 11:44:01 AM
To: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Cc: w3c-waI-gl@w3. org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: [EXT] Re: AI and the future of Web accessibility Guidelines

You asked — when does it end? wow — I hope it ends with us not having to do anything (or almost nothing) with regard to accessibility regulations for ICT because each individual gets information and interface presented to them that is optimized

You asked — when does it end?

wow — I hope it ends with us not having to do anything (or almost nothing) with regard to accessibility regulations for ICT because each individual gets information and interface presented to them that is optimized for them as an individual !

we currently have a huge set of rules that are followed by almost no-one.   ( a small percentage of products)

and even then, our own guidelines (and WCAG 3 will too ) say if you follow all these, it will still not be accessible to many

We need to look at all options — in order to reach where we need to (or get a LOT closer than we are now)

  *   ALL ICT
  *   Accessible to ALL users who are capable of understanding it (e.g. not everyone will be able to understand and operate a quantum scanning electron microscope — but they should be able to operate a viewer of the results) and have a need to use it.