From: David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 10:35 PM
To: Bradley Montgomery, Rachael L <rmontgomery@loc.gov>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, public-silver@w3.org <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Minutes from CSUN Hybrid Meeting
Thanks Rachael After 20 years of being active in face to face meetings, it was a bit surreal to be reading the minutes after the face to face without being able to attend, as I'm caring for my wife with ALS. However it was great to read
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an Untrusted Sender
You have not previously corresponded with this sender.
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Thanks Rachael

After 20 years of being active in face to face meetings, it was a bit surreal to be reading the minutes after the face to face without being able to attend, as I'm caring for my wife with ALS. However it was great to read through the good minutes and slide decks. I think there were important directions starting to solidify. I have a few basic thoughts as I read through:

  *   I share the opinion that Bronze should basically encapsulate WCAG 2.X AA (and perhaps some other additions) rather than being somewhere below the WCAG  2.x AA  threshold.
  *   I liked the discussion about prerequisites in option 1 (without it being a level)
  *   I share the concern about the cost of counting passes and adding them all up. I would rather see accessibility budgets used on documenting failures rather than using up precious budget counting and evaluating things that already pass in order to get a %
  *   I share the emerging thought of combining Option 1 and 2 (and simplifying)
  *   I share concerns about ensuring 3.0 is easier to understand than WCAG 2.x  and hopefully easier to test.
  *   I like 3.0 having functional needs up front labelled with a heading. In WCAG 2.x we have a more ambiguous approach of listing these types of needs in the "Intent" and "Benefits" sections of the Understanding which requires a bit of digging
  *   I'm fine with the terms and categories of Guidelines, Outcomes, Assertions ( all as normative) and Methods and Test Sets (non normative). "Outcome" is simpler and easier to understand than Success Criteria.
  *   I'm ok with the test unit being View instead of Web Page, Views allows more explicit distinction of new interfaces at the same URL which is good. Although I confess an ongoing affinity to "Web Page", (i.e., the way cars are still measured in "horsepower" a hundred years after horses are no longer used in transportation)
  *   I like the progressive aggregation of granular building blocks "items, views, user processes, and aggregate".
  *   In the straw poll I'm fine with 2 or 3  (2) Continue with concept of recommended priorities but base on “activities” aka at a more granular level (3) Drop idea of recommending prioritization above bronze
  *   I like the idea of critical errors causing a failure of all views of a process (as in WCAG 2.x)
  *   I like the concept of "Testable" applying to both qualitative and quantitative tests and the idea of items moving from qualitative to quantitative incrementally as testing methodologies mature and automation improves.
Thanks to all for the hard work and good progress at the face to face.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Mobile:  613.806.9005